Jazz Fest Volunteer Photographer Program
Application Period: Wednesday, November 1 – Friday, December 15 at 10:00pm (CT)
The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Archive is now accepting applications for the Jazz Fest Volunteer Photographer Program
The Jazz Fest Volunteer Photographer Program is a community outreach project of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation’s Archive. The mission of the program is to provide documentation of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival presented by Shell for the Foundation Archive. This documentation goes beyond the stages and music to include the “internal culture” of Jazz Fest – the food, art, culture, and people who attend the festival. These aspects are crucial in making Jazz Fest an annual success.
The program joins photographers, from a variety of backgrounds, with the Festival and Archive to provide the unique experience of photographing the world-renowned Jazz Fest.
Festival Dates are April 25- April 28 and May 2 –May 5, 2024.
Volunteer Photographer Program Applicant Categories:
Position Description and Requirements
- Volunteer Photographers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteer Photographers must be able to manage and edit hundreds or even thousands of digital images and understand that the work of photographing the Jazz Fest is physically demanding.
- Photographers often walk many miles a day around the Fair Grounds Race Course and are responsible for their own photography gear. There can often be a variety of weather conditions – rain (lots of mud) or shine (lots of dust) and potentially very hot weather.
- Selected volunteer photographers are responsible for providing the Archive with the images taken at the festival. Failure to make a submission will significantly diminish the historical record for the 2024 festival. Any photographer who does not submit their images will not be in good standing with the Foundation.
- Photographers who have been admitted to the program for three consecutive years will not be admitted for the fourth year in a row, in order to provide more volunteers with the opportunity to photograph Jazz Fest.
A three-person jury of photographers will select participants based on the following criteria:
- Artistic Merit (60%)
- Experience photographing live cultural events and/or professional reliability (40%)
How To Apply
Set up a profile at http://www.callforentry.org.
Once your profile has been set up, log in and use this direct link to the application: https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=12612
In the search bar, the application can be found in the Call For Entry listings under “New Orleans Jazz Fest Volunteer Photographers” beginning November 1, 2023.
The deadline to apply is Friday, December 15, 2023 at 11:59 PM CST.
No more than 150 applications will be accepted.
The photographic images are owned by the photographer and may be used by the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and Foundation for non-commercial and educational purposes. All rights, responsibilities, and obligations on the part of the Foundation and the photographers will be outlined in a separate Terms of Agreement for those invited to participate.
Please contact the Jazz & Heritage Foundation Archive:
901 Toulouse St.
New Orleans, LA 70112
United States of America
Tel: (504) 558-6138
The Jazz & Heritage Foundation Archive is part of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation.
Top Photo Credit: Mardi Gras Indian Rhythm Section at Jazz Fest 2019, photographed by Michael Mastrogiovanni.